A breakdown of the new CPT 99091 RPM Code
- Collection and interpretation of physiologic data (e.g.. ECG, Blood Pressure, glucose monitoring, etc.) digitally stored and/or transmitted by the patient and/or caregiver to the physician or other qualified health care professional, requiring a minimum of 30 minutes of time.
- Time restriction is set as “minimum” meaning at least 30 minutes must be spent
- Includes time spent accessing the data, reviewing or interpreting the data, and any necessary modifications to the care plan that result, include communication with the patient and/or her caregiver and any associated documentation
- Time does not have to be concurrent and can be over course of month with documentation of time spent
- Documentation of results and signed off review of results
- Direct patient interaction not required
- Patient must have had visit in last year prior to beginning remote monitoring
- Unbundled by CMS 1/1/2018
- Can now be billed as a separately reportable service
- CMS base rate of $58.68
- Billed once monthly
- Can be billed in same month as telehealth visits, face to face visits, and chronic care management but other services are not required to occur
- Documentation must be present that patient understands associated costs with monitoring
Remote patient monitoring can be done in conjunction with Chronic Care Management and is now separately reimbursed. If billed separately, time may not be included in time calculation associated with CCM. In the scenario where both occur, separate documentation is recommended to ensure compliance with time requirements as outlined by AMA coding guidelines.
SynsorMed provides a complete solution for our clients. Not only do we provide a platform that quietly tracks a patient’s progress and monitors clinical areas of concern, but we are able to provide mobile and connected devices for patients who are in need. With our clinical staff, we are able to handle simple patient requests for medication refills, home concerns, and patient transportation needs through local third-party partners.
Our complete care management turnkey product and service allows us to partner with our hospital clients to increase revenue through the new CPT remote patient monitoring codes.
To get started today reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.